CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - Cincinnati City Council met Monday to discuss the effectiveness of the McMicken barricades that were installed earlier this year to reduce prostitution in the Mohawk Area of West McMicken.
The barriers were moved to the side of the road last week when the temporary 90-day trial period ended.
Council members explored other options to permanently reduce prostitution during the meeting. Some of the discussed measures were installing cameras and increasing fines against johns.
This discussion is happening in the midst of a federal lawsuit filed by residents of the area asking that the barriers be taken down. The lawsuit alleges the barriers blocked the streets from Metro buses, visitors and emergency vehicles.
According to an assessment submitted to City Council by Cincinnati Police Chief Jeffrey Blackwell, 15 out of the 17 regularly observed prostitutes were no longer present within the first 30 days of the project.
The assessment calls the displacement of prostitutes to other areas "minimal" and says prostitution activity in the West End has continued but is not a result of displacement of prostitutes from McMicken.
Some resident's don't agree with the assessment, saying the barricades have caused prostitutes to move into other neighborhoods.
We have seen an increase in the amount of drug dealing and prostitution that is overwhelming our little neighborhood. It's getting overwhelmed by the problems that are being pushed out of that neighborhood," said Mimi Rock, a resident of Camp Washington.
Full council is expected to take up the issued on Wednesday.