(FOX19) - Many people grill out during Labor Day weekend.
LongHorn Steakhouse Grill Masters Dennis Desmond and Zach Pollman visited the FOX19 NOW Morning News to share three important points to grill the perfect steak.
Tip 1: Selecting Your Steak
- When selecting a steak, remember three things: cut, marbling and freshness.
- Marbling is the whiteness that runs through the steak and makes it juicy.
- Filets, sirloins and ribeyes are three common cuts you can find at your local grocer.
- Filets are lean and tender. They have a buttery texture and subtle flavor.
- Sirloins are also a lean cut and are very juicy.
- Bone-in Ribeye has the most marbling – and is the juiciest and most flavorful steak.
- Fresh steak is always best because it guarantees the meat will be tender and juicy.
Tip 2: Seasoning Your Steak
- Seasoning helps the true flavor of the meat shine and can add another layer of taste to the meal.
- Combine salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder and mix it together. Adjust the seasonings as needed.
- Don't be shy when seasoning. Season the steak boldly. Sprinkle and rub the seasoning on both sides of the meat, making sure it's coated.
Tip 3: Grilling Your Steak
- If you're using an outdoor chargrill, fully clean and prep it using a wire-bristled brush and light coat of vegetable or olive oil.
- Heat the surface of the grill so that it's very hot – about 500 degrees.
- Sear the steak until grill marks appear, then give it a quarter turn while on the same side. Flip and repeat.
- Pair your perfectly grilled steak with a delicious side, like a sweet potato or fresh vegetables.