Furnace explodes inside Wayne Township home - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Furnace explodes inside Wayne Township home

A house explosion in Wayne Township left two people badly burned, and it's all thanks to a furnace (Photo: FOX19) A house explosion in Wayne Township left two people badly burned, and it's all thanks to a furnace (Photo: FOX19)
WARREN COUNTY, OH (FOX19) -

A house explosion in Wayne Township left two people badly burned, and it's all thanks to a furnace.

It happened around 1 p.m. Sunday when firefighters say they were dispatched to the home in the 3000 block of Lytle Road for a structure fire with a home explosion.

The explosion was so massive, firefighters say they home's foundation was blown out, and bricks from the chimney were flung into the roadway.  A neighbor living across the street tells FOX19 NOW that the blast was so powerful, she felt her home shake as the furnace exploded.

"It was a pretty substantial explosion," said Lt. Paul Bernard of the Wayne Township Fire Department.

That explosion is all thanks to a furnace inside the home, triggering the earth shaking blast.

"They were in the cellar of the house working on the furnace, and was attempting to light the furnace when it exploded," said Bernard.

The two victims, both said to be in their sixties, were taken by medical helicopter to Miami Valley Hospital, both with burns, one of them suffering more burns by inhaling toxic fumes, according to firefighters.

"Both of them had burns on their hands, arms, face and head," Bernard told FOX19 NOW.

The blast sent bricks and insulation flying from the home, with the lasting effects littering the front yard.

"There was brick and glass as far out as the street.  The foundation looked like it had been blown out from the house," Bernard said.

From the home to the street, those bricks and debris flew about 30 feet.  But, what could be explained as the most astonishing, and nearly unbelievable effect from the blast, you can't see. 

"It even appeared that the house, the roof of the house, had been blown off of the house and set back down," Bernard told FOX19 NOW.

For tips on how to stay safe when firing up your furnace, visit: http://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/publications/l-97.pdf

Copyright 2014 WXIX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly