BEAVERCREEK, OH (FOX19) - A Greene County grand jury has voted to not return indictments against the officers involved in the Aug. 5 shooting death of a Fairfield man in a Beavercreek Wal-Mart.
The prosecutor discussed the evidence presented to the grand jury, and showed portions of the surveillance video where John Crawford III, 22, is seen carrying an air rifle he reportedly picked up off a shelf.
Police said they told Crawford to put down the rifle but he did not obey. Police then fatally shot Crawford.
"Based on the information the responding officers had and Mr. Crawford's failure to comply with the responding officers orders, the officers did what they were trained to do to protect the public. The officers followed accepted law enforcement training protocol in their response to the report of an active threat in the Wal-Mart store," Beavercreek officials said in a release following the announcement.
Although the grand jury concluded the officers acted legally, the U.S. Department of Justice announced Wednesday that they, along with the FBI, will conduct a separate review of the Beavercreek Police Department's actions to determine whether Crawford's civil rights were violated.
The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation has been in frequent contact with FBI and said it will turn over any investigative files, according to a statement from Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine.
Crawford's family has asked for such an investigation, believing the shooting was not justified and may have been racially motivated. Attorney Michael Wright and Crawford's family released a statement on Wednesday reading in part:
"The Walmart surveillance video and eyewitnesses prove that the killing of John H. Crawford, lll was not justified and was not reasonable. It is undisputed that John Crawford, lll was in Walmart as a customer and was not posing a threat to anyone in the store, especially the police officers."
Until an investigation is concluded, the officer who shot Crawford will remain on administrative desk duty.
Store surveillance video and 911 audio from the incident was released on Wednesday. Authorities had previously refused to release the footage, with Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine saying doing so could taint a jury pool.