Carbon monoxide leak sends two to the hospital just hours after - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Carbon monoxide leak sends two to the hospital just hours after turning on heater

Officials believe women became ill from carbon monoxide after they turned on the heat for the first time (FOX19/Adam Schrand) Officials believe women became ill from carbon monoxide after they turned on the heat for the first time (FOX19/Adam Schrand)
CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - Two woman are in the hospital after they were overcome by carbon monoxide early Monday morning. 

Emergency crews responded to a home in the 2300 block of Stratford Avenue around 12:30 a.m. 

When crews arrived, they found two women who were partially conscious and a dog that was staggering. After testing, firefighters discovered there were high levels of carbon monoxide on the first floor. 


According to officials, the leak was caused by a clogged flu pipe. The residents had just turned on their heat three hours before they were found. Since there were no CO detectors in the home, officials say the outcome could have been much worse had the women not been found. 


Both women were transported to University of Cincinnati Hospital Medical Center for treatment. The SPCA also responded to take the dog to a shelter while the owner is in the hospital. 


Another resident of the home is staying somewhere else tonight until the home is deemed safe. 

Duke Energy was also called to the scene to shut down the home's utilities. 

Copyright 2014 WXIX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly