Police: Shooting death of 5-year-old appears to be accident

5-year-old shooting death

MT. AUBURN, OH (FOX19) - Police say the shooting death of 5-year-old boy in Mt. Auburn appears to be an accident.

It happened in the 200 block of Kinsey Avenue on Sunday afternoon. Crime scene investigators arrived shortly after 2 p.m. and spent the evening combing through the home.

"It's a very tragic situation not only for the family but for all involved. When you lose a child this young, it hurts everyone," said Cincinnati Police Chief Jeffrey Blackwell.

"Our officers were actually working the detail here at the UC Emergency Room encountered a male individual who was carrying a small child into the emergency room. It later became known to us once inside with the trauma team that he had suffered from a gunshot wound," said Chief Blackwell.

That man was the child's father, Charron Hamilton.

According to Hamilton County Coroner Dr. Lakshmi Sammarco, 5-year-old Daniel Reddmond-Hamilton died from a single gunshot wound to the face. He also sustained other related injures, according to the coroner.

Chief Blackwell says it is still too early to tell what happened, whether it was a crime or accident. And the landlord of the building says he just wants answers.

"My plans are just trying to figure out what happened to the child," said Curtis Cross, the owner of the building on Kinsey Avenue.

He said he heard about the incident from his upstairs tenants.

"They just told me they heard a pop and that the police were around here," Cross said. "They told me there was supposed to be a birthday party here so kids were involved, so it's a touchy situation."

"It's a tragedy. We are kind of a close knit community so we all want to understand what took place and was there anyway it could have been prevented," Freeman Mcneal, a trustee for the Mt. Auburn Community Council.

Freeman says either way it is a shock for his neighborhood and a tragic loss for the 5-year-old's family.

"Pray for the family and hope that they make it through it and hopefully there will be something positive that will come out of this," said Mcneal.

The case remains under investigation.

Copyright 2014 WXIX. All rights reserved.