Middletown man badly burned after huffing gasoline and sparking - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Middletown man badly burned after huffing gasoline and sparking fire

A 20-year-old man was badly burned when he huffed gasoline and sparked a house fire in Middletown early Tuesday. (FOX19 NOW/Adam Schrand) A 20-year-old man was badly burned when he huffed gasoline and sparked a house fire in Middletown early Tuesday. (FOX19 NOW/Adam Schrand)
The fire started about 1:30 a.m. in the 1800 block of Henry Avenue. (FOX19 NOW/Adam Schrand) The fire started about 1:30 a.m. in the 1800 block of Henry Avenue. (FOX19 NOW/Adam Schrand)
MIDDLETOWN, OH (FOX19) -

A 20-year-old man is in critical condition after he suffered burns to 65 percent of his body after huffing gasoline and sparking a house fire early Tuesday, Middletown fire officials said.

Broden Hicks was found naked inside the living room of a residence in the 1800 block of Henry Avenue about 1:30 a.m. A medical helicopter flew him to Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton.

"He is lucky to be alive, although he is going to have a very, very long recovery," Snively said. "He was huffing gasoline vapors in the basement. That's what he told us. I would imagine the vapors got out to the water heater or furnace and there was a ignition source in there and they had a flash fire in the basement, mostly around the mattress he was sitting in."

A water pipe burst, extinguishing the fire before crews arrived, most likely saving the structure and Hicks.

Four other people, two adults and two children, also were inside the home when the fire broke out. They safely evacuated.

The American Red Cross is assisting the family.

Damage is set at $25,000.

Copyright 2015 WXIX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly