Dixie Heights senior makes it to graduation with a collapsed lun - Cincinnati News, Weather, Sports from FOX19 NOW-WXIX

Dixie Heights senior makes it to graduation with a collapsed lung

Dixie Heights High School senior Casmir Thornbury was ready to take the mantel and give his graduation speech as class president, but he a week before graduation he found himself at Children's Hospital. (Source: Shawn Lanier, FOX19 NOW) Dixie Heights High School senior Casmir Thornbury was ready to take the mantel and give his graduation speech as class president, but he a week before graduation he found himself at Children's Hospital. (Source: Shawn Lanier, FOX19 NOW)
CRESTVIEW HILLS, KY (FOX19) - Dixie Heights High School senior Casmir Thornberry was ready to take the mantel and give his graduation speech as class president, but he a week before graduation he found himself at Children's Hospital.

"It was disappointing each day, because until yesterday I had no clue what was going on,” Casmir said.

He was suffering from a collapsed lung for the second time. Casmir's mother, Michele Thornberry felt helpless.

"Overwhelming,” Michele said. “As a mom, you want to fix things for your son and this just happens to be one thing I couldn't fix for him."

Casmir keeps a smile on his face, but this news about his lung has him and his mom a little frustrated at times.

"My lung is supposed to be doing it,” Casmir said. “It's supposed to heal itself, but it isn't doing that."

“It's just a helpless feeling," added Michele.

Day after day Casmir was trying to figure out how to address his graduating class. He even pre-recorded a speech to be played during their graduation.

All of that changed once Children's Hospital's transport team agreed to get Casmir to his graduation safely.

He had a personal escort to the Bank of Kentucky Center, where he surprised his graduating class.

Casmir will now see his one wish come true.

"We go outside for a half-hour, and we take pictures and talk to everyone,” Casmir said. “I told my doctors that's what I want to do. I don't care if I miss walking up on the stage, and receiving my diploma, I don't need to hear my name called. I just want to be there with everyone and know that it's finally over."

As he addressed his class as their president, he had one thing on his mind.

"I hope I can get through it. I hope my lung doesn't collapse while I'm up there," Casmir said.

Copyright 2015 WXIX. All rights reserved.

Suspected Houston serial killer captured following chase

Tuesday, July 17 2018 7:06 AM EDT2018-07-17 11:06:39 GMT
    Tuesday, July 17 2018 9:32 AM EDT2018-07-17 13:32:41 GMT

Jose Gilberto Rodriguez is accused of killing his victims then stealing their cars. He is linked to three murders.

US arrests, accuses woman of acting as Russian agent

Monday, July 16 2018 4:09 PM EDT2018-07-16 20:09:37 GMT
    Tuesday, July 17 2018 9:36 AM EDT2018-07-17 13:36:26 GMT
    (AP Photo/Markus Schreiber). U.S. President Donald Trump, left, listens to Russian President Vladimir Putin during a press conference after their meeting at the Presidential Palace in Helsinki, Finland, Monday, July 16, 2018.(AP Photo/Markus Schreiber). U.S. President Donald Trump, left, listens to Russian President Vladimir Putin during a press conference after their meeting at the Presidential Palace in Helsinki, Finland, Monday, July 16, 2018.

Federal authorities have arrested a Russian woman accused of conspiring to infiltrate American political organizations at the direction of a senior Kremlin official.

Trump returns from summit with Putin to forceful criticism

Tuesday, July 17 2018 12:20 AM EDT2018-07-17 04:20:06 GMT
    Tuesday, July 17 2018 9:36 AM EDT2018-07-17 13:36:13 GMT
    (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais). U.S. President Donald Trump speaks with Russian President Vladimir Putin during a press conference after their meeting at the Presidential Palace in Helsinki, Finland, Monday, July 16, 2018.(AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais). U.S. President Donald Trump speaks with Russian President Vladimir Putin during a press conference after their meeting at the Presidential Palace in Helsinki, Finland, Monday, July 16, 2018.

Standing alongside Putin, Trump steered clear of any confrontation with the Russian, going so far as to question American intelligence and last week's federal indictments that accused 12 Russians of hacking into Democratic email accounts to hurt Hillary Clinton in 2016.