Report: Stove top caused blaze that killed firefighter - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Report: Stove top caused blaze that killed firefighter

Ladder trucks rescue residents from Kings Tower on March 26. (File) Ladder trucks rescue residents from Kings Tower on March 26. (File)
Daryl Gordon (file) Daryl Gordon (file)
CINCINNATI (FOX19) -

The fire that killed a 30-year veteran of the Cincinnati Fire Department was ruled accidental and caused by an unattended stove top, according to an incident report released on Wednesday.

Daryl Gordon, 54, died after falling down an elevator shaft while searching for victims inside a burning Madisonville apartment complex. Four other Cincinnati firefighters were treated for minor injuries in the March 26 fire.

"The first fuels ignited were cooking materials, specifically food and vegetable oil on the stove," the report states.

Dozens of Kings Tower residents were displaced in the blaze.

The report is part of a standard fire department investigation and is one of several probes into the Kings Tower fire. Chief Richard Braun said there would also be a procedural investigation by human resources and a probe by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Results could take up to a year.

One week after the deadly fire, hundreds of firefighters and residents lined the streets Gordon's as the funeral procession left fire headquarters at Fifth Street and slowly traveled to St. Peter in Chains Cathedral. It was the first death for CFD since 2003.

Copyright 2015 WXIX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly