FBI looks into 'swatting' incidents at Ohio schools - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

FBI looks into 'swatting' incidents at Ohio schools

Officials respond to Endeavor Elementary School Friday. (FOX19 NOW) Officials respond to Endeavor Elementary School Friday. (FOX19 NOW)
WEST CHESTER, OH (FOX19) -

Federal authorities are looking into several bomb threats made at Ohio schools last week, including one at Endeavor Elementary School.

Students were evacuated after the school received an anonymous phone call Friday morning. Officials determined the call was serious enough to take immediate action.

The West Chester Police and Fire departments responded and found no evidence related to a bomb threat, according to the superintendent of Lakota Local School District.

The FBI is looking into the threats made across Ohio, according to a state Homeland Security spokesperson, and included the following statement.

“The FBI is investigating threats made late last week to schools in southwest Ohio. The threats are considered non-credible. However, the act of making such threats is a criminal offense that is taken very seriously. These incidents disrupt the classroom, impact the students and can re-direct public safety resources from genuine emergencies. Anyone with information about these incidents is urged to contact the FBI at 1-800-CALLFBI (225-5324).”

The calls could be related to “swatting,” a prank where people falsely report emergencies to prompt law enforcement response, the Ohio Fusian Center network reports.

Federal, state, and local partners are working to identify where the calls are originating from. At this time, the West Chester Police Department is handling the investigation at Endeavor Elementary School.

The role of federal authorities in the investigation is not clear at this time.

“The Ohio Department of Education was notified by Ohio Homeland Security that a number of bomb threats occurred at several Ohio schools Friday,” Superintendent Karen Mantia said in a release.

Endeavor staff and students were transported to Lakota West Freshman school and later dismissed.

"Although an unfortunate situation to face, I was proud to see how our safety plans and procedures were put into action by everyone involved. The safety of our students, staff and visitors is and always will be our top priority," said Mantia.

Copyright 2015 WXIX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly