A firefighter suffered a knee injury at a Colerain Township fire overnight. (FOX19 NOW/Adam Schrand)
COLERAIN TOWNSHIP, OH (FOX19) -
A firefighter went to the hospital with a knee injury after battling a house fire overnight, fire officials said.
Crews responded when flames broke out inside a residence in the 6000 block of Thompson Road just before midnight, according to a prepared fire department statement.
When they arrived, they found a working fire on the second floor and heavy smoke throughout the house. All occupants were safely out, fire officials said.
The initial crew confined the fire from extending into the attic, and subsequent arriving units quickly aided in extinguishing the blaze, they said. That's when the firefighter suffered a knee injury and was later taken to Good Samaritan Hospital Western Ridge for treatment.
Details on the extent of the injury were not available.
When the fire was confined to the second floor, that area suffered moderate damage with smoke damage throughout the structure.
Fire officials said the cause of the fire was from a lit kerosene lamp that had been dropped by a resident near the second floor stairway that ignited the kerosene spilled in the hallway.
A damage estimate was not available.
Crews remained on scene for about two hours checking for any extension and overhaul.