Fourteen people including an unknown number of children were displaced in an apartment fire late Wednesday, fire officials said.
One resident in an adjacent building who said he helped his neighbors escape the blaze was taken to Jewish Hospital for smoke inhalation treatment, said Reading Fire Chief Todd Owens.
The man is expected to recover.
Fire crews responded when flames broke out about midnight in a basement apartment of a 10-unit building on Koehler Avenue, Owens said.
When fire crews arrived, all residents had made it out.
Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the basement unit, but smoke damage throughout the rest of the building will keep all residents displaced for a few days, Owens said.
The American Red Cross is assisting some of them with temporary lodging and food, he said. The others are staying with relatives and friends.
The fire cause is considered accidental while officials try to pinpoint exactly what sparked it, Owens said.
Damage was set at $40,000.
The building had working smoke detectors that activated during the fire, according to Owens.
Copyright 2015 WXIX. All rights reserved.
Baxter, a three-year veteran of the department, died later in a hospital and Howard, a 10-year veteran, was in serious condition.
The Philippines government says a child missing after a vehicle plowed into pedestrians in Barcelona is the 7-year-old son of a Filipino woman who had been living in Australia.
Trump pushes out strategist Steve Bannon, who returns to Breitbart News with goal of 'going to war' with Trump opponents.
Tri-State residents are opening their doors to help strangers.