Four people were hospitalized Monday after a mobile home caught fire in Mount Healthy.
Police said the blaze started from a van that caught fire and spread to a nearby home in the 8000 block of Hamilton Avenue.
"I believe the gentleman was trying to work on his vehicle. His van caught on fire. Probably a flash fire. It's all under investigation at this point,” said Lt. Chip McDaniel of the Mt. Healthy Fire Department.
From there, fire officials on scene say things intensified quickly.
"It escalated, possibly because the gentleman was on fire, went into the structure and was trying to put himself out,” said McDaniel.
Some quick actions of a young next door neighbor may have stopped things from getting worse than that.
"I pretty much went in there and did what I had to do and I got out and make sure myself was okay, too,” said Malik Saunders.
Saunders is just 19-years old. He said he ran into the burning home with no shoes on, just his socks.
"I jumped over the fence and I seen that Junior was unconscious in his house. Half of his body was on fire,” Saunders told FOX19 NOW. "I wasn't really scared or anything. I was kind of like, if somebody needs my help, I should help them."
Of the three injured, one was a passerby who tried to help. The fourth injury was to a child who fire officials say had a seizure as he passed by the fire scene. The child was taken to Children’s Hospital.
Emergency crews said the man who was on fire suffered severe burns to his legs and lower torso.