Shooting victim, 4, released from hospital months after drive-by - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Shooting victim, 4, released from hospital months after drive-by


One of the littlest victims of gun violence that tormented Cincinnati for months is still recovering. 

In July, 4-year-old Martaisha Thomas was shot in the head during a drive-by shooting on Ridgeway Avenue in Avondale while she was playing outside at a block party. She was recently released just in time for the holidays.

After nearly four months of recovering at Children’s Hospital, Martaisha continues to recover as her family prepares to celebrate the holidays with a lot to be thankful for.

For several months, Deaisha Hummons watched her young daughter battle for her life at Children's Hospital. “She remembers what happened,” said Martaisha’s mother, Deaisha. “She was smart before this happened to her so she remembers.”

Now out of the hospital, Martaisha still has to attend weekly sessions for occupational therapy, speech therapy and physical therapy. She hasn't been able to complete a full sentence or walk on her own since that fateful day in July.

“It's been hard as a mother but as a mother it has made me stronger for my daughter and make her get better,” Deaisha Thomas told us. “So it's been tough but we got through it.”

Deaisha says she was able to get through those difficult days by knowing that there was a light at the end of the tunnel. "There’s a possibility that she will be able to walk again two months from now, which will be on her birthday, Valentine's Day."

As Deaisha looks optimistically ahead towards the possibilities of what Valentine’s Day could bring, she says she's also grateful to have her daughter home for the other holidays that remind us to count our blessings and to remember how fragile life can be at any age.

"I was happy to have her on Thanksgiving and am excited to have her around at Christmas. Also, to spend her birthday with her and have a big party for her will be great. She’s always wanted that,” said Deaisha.

Another thing to be thankful for, Deaisha says, is that the alleged shooter, Darnell Hicks, has been arrested and charged with attempted murder.

Copyright 2015 WXIX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly