Norwood police receive grant for in-cruiser video cams - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Norwood police receive grant for in-cruiser video cams

NORWOOD, OH (FOX19) -

Police in this Hamilton County city announced Tuesday they finalized a $31,492.50 grant to establish an in-car video program for patrol vehicles.

They said they entered into this project with the goal of increasing transparency and documentation of officer-citizen encounters.

"These systems, in conjunction with our existing body camera program, will continue to hold our officers to high accountability standards, as well as assist in prosecutions," police said in a prepared statement.

 Police applied in May for funding to purchase in-car video systems through the U.S. Department of Justice Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant Program (JAG).

In late November, officials notified Norwood police they had approval for grant funding to outfit half of their police patrol fleet with in-car video systems manufactured by Watchguard Inc; an industry leader in law enforcement video systems based in Allen, Texas.

The total grant project amount is $41,990.00 , with JAG funds supplying 75 percent of the cost. The city of Norwood will pay the other 25 percent, a cash match that will supplied by funds seized from drug dealers.

The grant award will allow Norwood police to purchase and install Watchguard Panoramic X2 4RE mobile video systems in six patrol cars.

The systems are on the forefront of law enforcement video technology. Each car will be equipped with three cameras, and microphones.

Two cameras face forward through the windshield. One will record true high definition video, and the second will capture a wide-angle panoramic view of the front of the patrol car.

The third camera will monitor the rear cabin, or prisoner area of the patrol car.

The systems record to a DVR, which has the capability to download videos wirelessly into the police station through secure connection.

Copyright 2016 WXIX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly