CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - A mom died of apparent overdose inside her 7-month-old daughter's room at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Thursday, according to police sources.
Medical staff entered the child's room to find Mary Ann Landers, 32, unconscious with a needle in her arm around 11:30 a.m. The father was locked inside the private bathroom.
Court documents identify Wesley Landers, 31, as the father. He was reportedly found unconscious with a heroin syringe in his arm and revived with Narcan. Another two syringes were nearby on the bathroom counter, documents state.
Landers was found with a handgun in his pants pocket, according to a police complaint. Mary Ann was also found with a firearm, sources said.
The mother was determined to be deceased. The cause of death is ruled pending.
Police said Landers was taken to University of Cincinnati Medical Center for a possible overdose.
He since has been arrested and faces charges of possession of drugs, carrying a concealed weapon, having weapons while under disability and possessing drug abuse instruments.
A judge ruled for his bond to be set at $400,000 bond.
"It just goes to show you how strong the grip is of drugs," said Hamilton County Coroner Dr. Lakshmi Kode Sammarco.
Dr. Sammarco said that in just the last two weeks, her office has investigated more than 20 overdose related deaths.
However, she said this case is especially difficult.
"There is just something inherently wrong with bringing a child to a very specialized medical center, one of the best in the world, and then making a really bad mistake and losing your own life," Dr. Sammarco said.
The family is from Alabama. The Landers' came to Cincinnati for a trachea reconstruction surgery, according to their GoFundMe page.
Officials said the surgery went well, and the baby is recovering.
Cincinnati police continue to investigate the incident.