CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - As temperatures plummet and high winds sweep through the Tri-State it's important to keep your vehicle safe in case of a dangerous situation.
The Indiana State Police said drivers should add the following items to their vehicle in case you're faced with a dangerous situation.
- Extra warm clothes
- A flashlight with extra batteries
- Brightly colored cloth
- Sand or a bag of cat litter
- Candles and matches
- Non perishable high calorie foods
- A first aid kit
- Jumper cables
Officials also say the following precautions should be made during winter commutes.
- Before leaving check the weather forecast and let someone know your route of travel.
- Always keep your gas tank full when driving in cold weather.
- Do not leave your car if stranded, it is your best protection. Do not panic, an idling car only uses an average of one gallon of gas per hour.
- Roll down a window for a small amount of fresh air.
- Make sure the car's exhaust pip is not blocked to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
- At night, leave your dome light on.
- Always have your cell phone and a charger so you can call and let us know where you're located.
For the latest weather updates from FOX19 NOW click here.