Mother of Middletown baby found unresponsive speaks out

Mother of Middletown baby found unresponsive speaks out
(PHOTO: FOX19 NOW/Robert Guaderrama)
(PHOTO: FOX19 NOW/Robert Guaderrama)

MIDDLETOWN, OH (FOX19) – - The mother of a 1-year-old baby found limp and unresponsive inside an apartment last week is telling her side of the story.

Officers and paramedics were called to the residence in the 6800 block of Brandywine Street  about 9 p.m. Thursday.

When they arrived, they found Stephen Butler limp and barely breathing, the report states.

"The medics advised that the pupils on the child were not matching, that they were getting an smaller and there is no consistency, which was indicative of a possible trauma," a police officer wrote in the report.

Police talked to the baby's mother Jacqueline Butler, 29, who told them she had come home from a parent/teacher conference sometime between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. and then left to go to the gym.

She said she left the infant with a caretaker. Police said they talked to the man, 28.

"...he advised that he gave the child a bath and that the child was supervised during the entire time that he was in the bath. He stated that he took the child out of the bath and laid him down for a nap," police wrote in the report. "He advised that when he went to take the child out of the bathtub, that he was limp at that time and unresponsive. He laid him down for a nap."

When the baby's mother came home sometime before 9 p.m., the caretaker told her the baby was still sleeping, according to the report.

The mother said she thought it was odd the baby was still sleeping and tried to wake him up, but he was unresponsive.

That's when she called for an ambulance.

"I do not know exactly what happened and it's still under investigation and I'm hoping to soon find out exactly what happened to Stephan," Butler said.

The baby was taken to Atrium Medical Center in Middletown, where doctors told police he had a "large brain bleed that was indicative of a trauma," the report states.

Doctors also said the baby had a small bruise under his left eye and some cuts on his chin, according to the report.

The infant was transferred to Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, and the case was turned over to detectives.

No charges have been filed while the investigation continues.

The baby's current condition was not available Tuesday morning.

Copyright 2016 WXIX. All rights reserved.