CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - Why bother with artificial or synthetic food colorings when you can get the same result from natural dyes all available at your local grocery store?
Instead of commercial food colorings, you can use items such as red cabbage (for blue dye), turmeric (yellow), beets (red) and loose tea (grey) to create the perfect collection of colorful Easter eggs for your celebration.
Here's how to do it:
- 2 cups chopped red cabbage
- 1 tsp salt in boiling water
- Add chopped red cabbage and boil for 10-15 minutes
- Place cheesecloth in jar and strain water
- Add 2 tsp white vinegar
- Let egg set for several hours (*the longer the egg is in the dye, the darker the color will be)
- Repeat with other ingredients:
- For yellow, use turmeric
- For red, use chopped beets
- For grey, use loose tea
- For green, set in turmeric for an hour, then red cabbage for an hour