CINCINNATI (FOX19) - Authorities are hoping to resume a search later this week for a car that plunged into the Ohio River after a pileup on the Combs-Hehl Bridge last Tuesday.
Search efforts were suspended last week because of safety concerns related to the rising river.
The Boone County water rescue team said Tuesday that, at the earliest, it will be Thursday or Friday before river conditions allow divers to look for the car and victim, according to Campbell County Police Chief Craig Sorrell.
"For us, the most important aspect of this recovery is the occupants of the vehicle, so we're not going to rush anything that might upset that. The car is secondary," said Sorrell said at a press conference Friday.
Police have been contacted by the family of a missing person believed to have been driving the car that toppled off the bridge connecting I-275 from Kentucky to Ohio.
Police said the driver's identity would not be released until the body and vehicle have been recovered from the bottom of the river.