Official: Barbecue smoking chips started massive house fire - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Official: Barbecue smoking chips started massive house fire

(Photos: Amie Switzer, FOX19 NOW) (Photos: Amie Switzer, FOX19 NOW)
LEBANON, OH (FOX19) -

Fire investigators say barbecue wood chips are likely to blame for a massive fire that destroyed a Lebanon home Tuesday.

The homeowner, his teenage son and a dog escaped the Greengate Drive home after the fire broke out around 12:15 p.m.

Investigators said the man left smoldering wood chips on the garage floor while he went to the store. Embers from the chips drifted through the garage, lighting several books on fire and ultimately spreading through the home, officials say.

A 15-year-old neighbor spotted the flames and raced across the street to warn the father and son, officials said. No injuries were reported.

The flames spread and caused $30,000 in damages to a neighboring home.

FOX19 NOW will update this story as more information develops.

Copyright 2016 WXIX. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly