CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - A study by Pediatrics shows that over 60,000 calls made to U.S. poison control centers were due to unintentional exposures to laundry or dishwasher detergent involving children under the age 6 in 2013 and 2014.
The study also revealed that there were two deaths, and both were associated with laundry detergent packets.
"If I was toddler and I saw it, I'd probably want to eat it and out it in my mouth as well. She puts everything in her mouth. I means they are children," said parent Jeff Aubrey. "We don't carry it, so it's not a product that we use more or less specifically because of that."
The number of exposures increased over the study period from 2013 to 2014 for all forms of the detergents, but the greatest increase came from laundry pods.
The numbers, according to the study, increased by 17 percent for laundry pods and 14 percent for dish washing pods.
FOX19 reached out to P&G, which is one the companies who makes the laundry packets. The company is launching a new campaign to help reduce accidents and updating its Tide Pods package design with a new Child-Guard zipper.
American Cleaning Institute responded to the study Monday. In part reading, "The most important message coming out of this study of exposures in 2013 and 2014 is reminding parents and caregivers that proper storage and handling of laundry packets during use is essential in preventing accidental exposures."