CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - The rain gauge here at FOX19 NOW has been busy lately.
Starting Tuesday April 26th through 5PM today (April 28), 3.97" of rain has fallen.
I like numbers and here are some that may impress you.
If 3.97" of rain fell over 1 square mile that would be:
- 9, 223, 204 (9.22 million) cubic feet of water
- 68, 993 614 (68.99 million) gallons or
- 575, 804, 626 (575.8 million) pounds of water.
Think of Sunlite Pool at Old Coney Island.
Image Courtesy: cincinnativiews.com
It is the largest recirculating pool in the world and the largest flat water pool in North America. It holds more than 3 million gallons of water.
The 3.97" of rain we are talking about, over that 1 square mile would fill Sunlite Pool 23 times.
Think of the Washington Monument
Image courtesy: National Park Service
The 36,000 marble, granite and gneiss (pronounced nice) stones that stand, give or take a few inches, 555 feet tall weigh 81,000 tons. The 3.97" of rain water we are considering weighs 3.6 times more than the Washington Monument.
Even Bigger Numbers
If 3.97" of rain fell over all of Hamilton County, the numbers would be astounding and look like this:
- 3.8 billion cubic feet of water
- 28.5 billion gallons of water
- 2 hundred and 37 billion (237,807,310,538) pounds of water.
- Enough to fill Sunlite Pool 9,499 times and it would
- Weigh as much as 1,487 Washington Monuments
Recall all that water had to be lifted from the surface to eventually fall as rain.