CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - Spring is warming up, so now is the time to head outside and create a perfect lawn that lasts all year. The Home Depot has the tools to help you keep your yard healthy and green all season long, from fertilizer to irrigation systems to power tools. Here are a few suggestions below.
- Find the right fertilizer
- Determine which types of fertilizer are best to use to help your lawn thrive.
- It’s time to start fertilizing your lawn as soon as the dormant grass is 50 percent green. Feed your lawn every 8 weeks to keep it green all season.
- If you have planted a new lawn or are overseeding to grow new grass, use Vigoro Starter Fertilizer to give the new seed the right nutrients for growth.
- Give your lawn a healthy start with an early spring feeding of crabgrass preventer, such as Vigoro Crabgrass Preventer and Lawn Fertilizer. This provides control of crabgrass weeds before they start growing, as well as early post emergence control.
- If weeds have already started growing before your first application of fertilizer, use a weed & feed formula, such as Weed & Feed to kill weeds down to their roots while promoting grass growth.
- As temperatures rise near the end of spring, consider switching to a summer safe fertilizer, like Scotts Summerguard Fertilizer, which strengthens against heat and drought and also protects against common bugs.
- Use a broadcast spreader to spread fertilizer across a large lawn, a drop spreader for a smaller yard or a handheld spreader to spot treat your lawn.
- Get smart on water, hydrate your plants with smart irrigation and sprinkler systems.
- Smart irrigation timers connect your sprinkler system directly to your smart device and save water by adjusting for weather conditions and landscape needs. The Orbit Indoor/Outdoor Sprinkler Timer with Wi-Fi gives you complete control of the timer and even continues with the stored watering schedule if Wi-Fi connectivity is lost.
- The Rachio 16 Zone Smart Sprinkler Controller allows you to enter specific plant and soil types to get a tailored watering schedule for different parts of the yard. It’s easy to use and can be installed within 30 minutes.
- Automate your hose-end sprinklers drip irrigation system or soaker hose. This seven-day digital timer can be used with newly seeded or established lawns to make watering convenient.
- Power tool tips Mowing is an essential step in caring for your lawn, so it’s important to have the right tool for the job.
- If your hard is around half acre or larger, riding mowers cover wide swaths of ground to get the job done while saving time and energy.
- The Ryobi 40-Volt Cordless Lawn Mower is a quiet mower that is perfect for any small yard. The battery-powered brushless motor offers superior power, run time and durability. This light and compact mower features foldable handles for easy storage.
- The Lawn-Boy Self-Propelled All-Wheel Drive Gas Mower is a reliable budget-friendly option that is lightweight and easy to maneuver.