Smoking Materials Caused Fire - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Smoking Materials Caused Fire

Smoking materials caused fire; three students killed were intoxicated

We're getting more details about that fire that killed three Miami University students in an off-campus house Sunday morning.

Fire officials are telling the father of one victim that the fire was accidental and caused when smoking materials ignited a couch in a first-floor living room.

The county coroner also says the victims had blood-alcohol levels more than double Ohio's legal limit for driving. Doug Turnbull of Milford in southwest Ohio is the father of 21-year-old Julia Turnbull. Fire officials gave him details of a report that they'll share at a news conference later this afternoon.

His daughter and another woman, 21-year-old Kathryn Welling of Bronxville, New York, died of carbon monoxide and smoke inhalation.

The coroner says 22-year-old Stephen Smith of Bethesda, Maryland, died from inhaling super-heated air as he tried to get out.

Eight other people escaped.

Powered by Frankly