Smoking Materials Caused Fire - Cincinnati News, Weather, Sports from FOX19 NOW-WXIX

Smoking Materials Caused Fire

Smoking materials caused fire; three students killed were intoxicated

We're getting more details about that fire that killed three Miami University students in an off-campus house Sunday morning.

Fire officials are telling the father of one victim that the fire was accidental and caused when smoking materials ignited a couch in a first-floor living room.

The county coroner also says the victims had blood-alcohol levels more than double Ohio's legal limit for driving. Doug Turnbull of Milford in southwest Ohio is the father of 21-year-old Julia Turnbull. Fire officials gave him details of a report that they'll share at a news conference later this afternoon.

His daughter and another woman, 21-year-old Kathryn Welling of Bronxville, New York, died of carbon monoxide and smoke inhalation.

The coroner says 22-year-old Stephen Smith of Bethesda, Maryland, died from inhaling super-heated air as he tried to get out.

Eight other people escaped.

  • FOX19 HeadlinesMore>>

  • Why were protesters lined up outside Lee's Famous Chicken?

    Why were protesters lined up outside Lee's Famous Chicken?

    Sunday, June 24 2018 10:01 PM EDT2018-06-25 02:01:31 GMT
    Protesters line up outside Lee's Famous Recipe Chicken in Hartwell on Sunday after a longtime customer accused the restaurant of unfair treatment. (WXIX)Protesters line up outside Lee's Famous Recipe Chicken in Hartwell on Sunday after a longtime customer accused the restaurant of unfair treatment. (WXIX)
    Protesters line up outside Lee's Famous Recipe Chicken in Hartwell on Sunday after a longtime customer accused the restaurant of unfair treatment. (WXIX)Protesters line up outside Lee's Famous Recipe Chicken in Hartwell on Sunday after a longtime customer accused the restaurant of unfair treatment. (WXIX)
    Protesters were out at the Lee’s Famous Recipe Chicken in Hartwell on Sunday afternoon. They are wanting answers as to why a longtime customer wasn’t served first, after being first in line. The customer, Keith Gibson, was also asked to leave the store that day. “I just don't know what happened from 'I'm going to tell you I'm the first in line,' to 'Don't serve him, don't take his money, he can't eat here,'" Gibson said. Gibson said the incident happened...Full Story >
    Protesters were out at the Lee’s Famous Recipe Chicken in Hartwell on Sunday afternoon. They are wanting answers as to why a longtime customer wasn’t served first, after being first in line. The customer, Keith Gibson, was also asked to leave the store that day. “I just don't know what happened from 'I'm going to tell you I'm the first in line,' to 'Don't serve him, don't take his money, he can't eat here,'" Gibson said. Gibson said the incident happened...Full Story >
  • Body cam video shows KS officer shooting at dog, wounding 9-year-old girl

    Body cam video shows KS officer shooting at dog, wounding 9-year-old girl

    Sunday, June 24 2018 9:22 PM EDT2018-06-25 01:22:39 GMT
    Sunday, June 24 2018 9:34 PM EDT2018-06-25 01:34:56 GMT

    While her injuries were minor, the video is disturbing and difficult to watch and may not be appropriate for some viewers.

    Full Story >

    While her injuries were minor, the video is disturbing and difficult to watch and may not be appropriate for some viewers.

    Full Story >
  • Paint Creek firefighter dies after station accident

    Paint Creek firefighter dies after station accident

    Sunday, June 24 2018 9:08 PM EDT2018-06-25 01:08:06 GMT
    Raycom Media/fileRaycom Media/file
    Raycom Media/fileRaycom Media/file

    The firefighter was working with compressed air cylinders when he was critically injured by one of the cylinders, according to a press release.

    Full Story >

    The firefighter was working with compressed air cylinders when he was critically injured by one of the cylinders, according to a press release.

    Full Story >
Powered by Frankly