Fairfield man says e-cigarette exploded in his hand - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Fairfield man says e-cigarette exploded in his hand

(PHOTO: FOX19 NOW) (PHOTO: FOX19 NOW)
Cunningham's hand after the incident (PHOTO: FOX19 NOW) Cunningham's hand after the incident (PHOTO: FOX19 NOW)
FAIRFIELD, OH (FOX19) -

Warning: Images in this story may be disturbing for some.

A Fairfield man is happy he's not in worse shape after he says an e-cigarette exploded in his hand.

Colin Cunningham said he was holding the e-cigarette on Monday, clicked it once, and it blew up.

"I got home from work and I was messing with it, you know, changed the battery," Cunningham told FOX19 NOW. "As soon as I changed the battery, put it back in and twisted it. I hit the button and it exploded."

Cunningham said he's had the device for a few weeks and tried to use the e-cigarette earlier in the day but it wasn't working. 

"It was almost like a bomb went off in my hand, literally," Cunningham said. 

What is left of the e-cigarette is a pile of mangled metal and charred parts. Cunningham said part of it melted and part of it caught fire on the ground. 

"My ears were ringing," Cunningham said. There's blood everywhere. I was in panic mode."

Cunningham received 10 stitches in his hand. He says he’s used e-cigs in the past, but this could be the last time he will use one. 

"I'm scared to use them now. That's just me," Cunningham said. "Find out research and everything before you just go buy one and start hitting it because I guess that could happen to anybody."

Copyright 2016 WXIX. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly