Bond set at $2M for gunman charged with shooting deputy - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Bond set at $2M for gunman charged with shooting deputy

Provided by Warren County Sheriff's Office Provided by Warren County Sheriff's Office
MASON, OH (FOX19) -

Bond was set at $2 million Monday for the 19-year-old man accused of shooting a Warren County Sheriff's deputy and his own father before running off, sparking a massive a manhunt last week.

Mohammed Abdou Laghaoui asked for a public defender during a brief morning appearance in Mason Municipal Court via video from the Warren County jail.

He is scheduled to return to court for a preliminary hearing at 1 p.m. Thursday. In the meantime, he remains locked up on one charge of attempted aggravated murder and two counts of felonious assault.

Laghaoui shot and wounded Deputy Katie Barnes the second time she responded to a domestic violence call at an apartment at Orchard of Landen Thursday night, sheriff's officials have said.

The initial call was for Laghaoui threatening to shoot and kill his father and brother, they said.

The deputy spoke to the two men 45 minutes, but left when they didn't cooperate or want to file charges, according to Warren County Sheriff Larry Sims. Apparently Laghaoui's relatives did not know he was armed.

But deputies were called back nearly an hour later - and that's when Laghaoui fired at her with an AK-47 assault rifle almost as soon as she arrived, the sheriff has said.

Laghaoui's father also was found shot in the hand.

Laghaoui ran off, setting off a massive manhunt overnight. He was apprehended about 4:30 a.m. Friday when he returned unarmed to the complex and was taken into custody without issue.

Authorities are still searching for the AK-47.

Copyright 2016 WXIX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly