Fire officials: Boy, 7, with lighter starts blaze that displaces - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Fire officials: Boy, 7, with lighter starts blaze that displaces 4

Raycom Media/file Raycom Media/file
NORTH FAIRMOUNT, OH (FOX19) -

A 7-year-old boy with a lighter started a fire that displaced his family early Friday, Cincinnati fire officials said.

Fire crews responded to reports of a bedroom fire in the 2500 block of Bartlett Street just after 1:30 a.m., fire officials said in a prepared statement.

When they arrived, they found a small fire on a small bed in the boy's second-story bedroom, said Captain Ben Marker.

All residents - the boy, his mother and two siblings, ages 2 and less than 1 year, had already evacuated, according to the captain.

The fire was extinguished in less than five minutes.

The boy will be referred to the department's Juvenile Fire Starter Program, where he will receive counseling and fire safety education, Marker said.

Damage was set at $5,000.

Copyright 2016 WXIX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly