BLUE ASH, OH (FOX19) - Matthew 25: Ministries is responding to severe flooding that has affected multiple counties in central and southern West Virginia.
Heavy storms swept across West Virginia early on Thursday, June 23 and continued all day, leaving flooded roads impassable and tens of thousands of people without power.
A state of emergency was issued on Thursday for 44 counties, with Greenbrier, Nicholas, Fayette, Kanawha and Webster the hardest hit. At least 25 deaths have been reported as a result of flooding.
The organization left Blue Ash for West Virginia Monday with specialized Disaster Relief vehicles. The trucks were loaded with almost 12,000 pounds of relief supplies including personal care kits containing items such as deodorant, toothpaste and shampoo. Cleaning products and safety supplies were also included in the kits.
Matthew 25's disaster response fleet also includes an ice machine that can produce up to 10,000 pounds of ice a day. Additionally, Matthew 25 will be sending two truckloads of water, holding more than 90,000 bottles.
"West Virginia is close to home and close to our hearts," said Matthew 25's CEO Tim Mettey. "We work actively in West Virginia throughout the year and this response is an extension of our ongoing work. Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of the affected areas during this time of need."
Matthew 25: Ministries is accepting the following for disaster relief:
- Monetary Donations: Donate online, mail checks to Matthew 25: Ministries, 11060 Kenwood Road, Cincinnati, OH 45242 (write “flood relief” in memo section to designate a gift for flood victims)
- Bottles water and Non-Perishable Food: PULL TOP canned vegetables, fruits etc.; ready to eat dry goods such as nuts, peanut butter, dried fruits, granola and trail mixes, jerkies, ready to eat snacks; ready- to-eat meals or MREs etc.
- Personal care products: Antibacterial soap, hand sanitizer, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, body wash, deodorant, lotion etc.
- Cleaning supplies: Laundry detergents, general cleaner, sponges, bleach (powdered form is preferred), mops, scrub brushes, buckets, rubber gloves etc.
- Paper products: Toilet paper, paper towels etc.
- Baby and infant supplies: Diapers, wipes, diaper rash ointment, baby wash, baby shampoo, baby lotion etc.
- First-Aid items: Bandages, gauze, pads, first aid tape, antiseptic creams, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, latex gloves, instant cold packs etc.