CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - Pete Rose filed a lawsuit Wednesday against the man who claimed Rose had sexual relations with minors during his baseball career.
The allegations came from the investigator who collected evidence that proved Rose bet on baseball as he managed the Cincinnati Reds in 1989.
John Dowd, the special counsel who led the MLB investigation that got Rose banned from baseball, claimed in an interview with radio station WCHE on July 13, 2015 that Rose would entertain young girls, ages 12-14-years-old, during Spring Training.
"Michael Bertolini, you know, told us that he not only ran bets but he ran young girls for him down at spring training, ages 12 to 14, Dowd said during the interview with WCHE. "Isn't that lovely. So that's statutory rape every time you do that."
Rose denied the allegation in an interview with NJ Advance Media saying it's unbelievable and that his family was with him every year, except for the first year, during spring training.
"We filed the suit because Dowd's statements are false and deeply offensive. Regardless of what John Dowd thinks of Pete Rose as a person, a ball player, or a even a gambler, none of that justifies Dowd's ugly accusations of pedophilia," said Rose's lawyer Ray Genco in an official statement Wednesday.
The lawsuit, filed in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania District Court, claims that Dowd had long shown bias against Rose.
The suit seeks unspecified damages.
Bertolini, the man Dowd cited as his source of info on Rose, released a statement through his lawyer last year saying.
"Mike categorically denies the allegation -- he never did any such thing, nor did Pete Rose, nor did Mike say anything to Dowd about the subject. The story is libelous to him and to Rose and should be retracted immediately. "
Rose's attorney said he would not comment for Rose right now.
In December, Major League Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred denied Rose's reinstatement when he filed to be reinstated last year. But Manfred loosened baseball's shackles on the Hit King by allowing the Reds to induct him in their Hall of Fame and retire his No. 14 last month.
The Hit King was recently inducted during the 2016 Reds Hall of Fame Induction in June. His number 14 jersey was also retired.