Prosecutor: Grandfather died of head injuries, teen grandson charged

Prosecutor: Grandfather died of head injuries, teen grandson charged

MOUNT HEALTHY, OH (FOX19) - A 13-year-old boy faces a murder charge his 80-year-old grandfather's death last year, police announced Tuesday morning.

Fowler Agenbroad was found unresponsive and suffering from head trauma at his Mt. Healthy home on Aug. 5, police wrote on their Facebook page.

At the time, Agenbroad had custody of his grandson, whose parents both died from drug overdoses.

"There was some sort of physical altercation and literally we believe the grandfather's head may have gone through a wall," Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said on 700 WLW radio Tuesday afternoon.

Agenbroad died of blunt impact injuries to the head, the prosecutor said.

The boy was 12-years-old at the time of the alleged crime. Deters said he previously had been accused of assaulting his grandfather.

Agenbroad was fascinated by prime Pythagorean triplets and woodworking, according to his obituary.

"Helping neighbors and the church endlessly, he wishes the Lord to continue to bless the congregation at Immanuel Presbyterian Church in Clifton," it reads.

Agenbroad grew up in West Union, Ohio, and attended Harvard for a year before transferring to Wittenberg, where he majored in math and was graduated in 1958, according to his obituary.

He taught in St. Mark's School in Salt Lake City, Utah, for a year, and then joined the U.S. Army for a couple of years where he dealt with computers and ordnance.

Neighbors who live in the 1500 block of St. Clair Avenue in Mount Healthy knew something was wrong on August 5.

"You see crime scene tape go up. A bunch of guys are walking and the ambulance comes up and then you got a body bag come out,” said Neighbor Steve Wagner.

Fowler Agenbroad's now 13-year-old grandson is facing murder, reckless homicide and felonious assault charges in the death of the 80-year-old last year. In a radio interview with 700 WLW's Bill Cunningham, Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters describes what he believes happened inside this home in August.

"There was some admission that there was some sort of physical altercation and literally we believe that his grandfather's head may have gone through a wall,” said Deters.

"We had issues with the juvenile before, we have had juveniles…I can't say whether or not they were with grandpa as a result of a third-party incident that may have occurred,” said
Mt. Healthy Police Department Sgt. Nick Michael.

A Mt. Healthy Police Department Incident log shows just how many times since march of 2014 police have responded to the St. Clair Avenue residence. Some of those called listed incidents involving the minor.

On May 23, police were called to the residence for domestic violence threats where the then 12-year-old threatened to use a knife on his grandfather.

In July, another call was made after the minor refused to come home. 

On August 3, two days before police found Agenbroad unresponsive in his home, he reported that he had trouble with his grandson. He was transported to Lighthouse Youth Services for the evening.

Some neighbors say in the past they've witnessed altercations with the boy and his grandfather.

"I don't know, we seen this coming so. The kid started getting in trouble after both parents passed away. And he was always pretty loud with his grandfather," said Wagner.

Copyright 2017 WXIX. All rights reserved.