CINCINNATI (FOX19) - Prize-Winning Carrot Cake from Blue Ribbon Kitchen, Karri Perry
Preheat oven 350 degrees, use middle oven rack
2 cups all-purpose flour- King Arthur- All purpose
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon- Penzey's Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs-room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup buttermilk-room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups of finely grated carrot- process once with
a grater attachment and then a
second time with the chopping
blade for finely grated carrot.
**Use large whole carrots for this recipe
1 can (8 ounce) crushed pineapple, drained very well
1/2 cup coconut (Baker's Sweetened Flaked Coconut)
1 cup chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
Toast nuts in a 350 degree oven for 5-7 minutes,
cool and chop before adding to the cake.
- Line three 9 -inch round cake pans with parchment paper and lightly grease/spray. Set aside. (Makes 36 cupcakes)
- Stir together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and tiny pinch of ground cloves. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, combine the eggs, sugar, oil, buttermilk and vanilla, mixing together until combined and emulsified (smooth with no oily puddles). Slowly add the flour mixture, stopping to scrape down the bowl. Mix cake batter just until flour mixture is incorporated.
- Fold in the grated carrot, pineapple, coconut and chopped nuts if using.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans. (or cupcake liners)
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cakes. For cupcakes bake 17-19 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cakes rest in pans on wire rack for 5 minutes. Run a paring knife around edges of the cake to loosen.
- Remove cakes from the very warm pans after the 5 minutes AND remove and discard the parchment paper. Let cool.
- Once cakes are at room temperature, spread the frosting between cake layers, on the sides and top of cake. This is not the final coat; this is only the crumb-coat.
- Chill cake in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes, then apply the final coating of the frosting, add nuts to the sides for garnish.
- Refrigerate cake overnight, up to 24 hours and then serve.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients: (I usually double this for a three-layer cake)
1 stick of softened butter (8 TBS)
1 brick of softened Philadelphia cream cheese (8 ounces)
3-4 cups of powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1-2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
(If frosting is too thick, add 1 teaspoon of milk or cream at a time until desired consistency is reached.)
Orange food color-gel 2 drops
Marzipan carrots with parsley sprigs
Chocolate bunny silhouettes
Chopped toasted walnuts- 1 cup