Mother recovering from critical injuries after U.S. 50 head on c - Cincinnati News, Weather, Sports from FOX19 NOW-WXIX

Mother recovering from critical injuries after U.S. 50 head on crash

FOX19 NOW/Dave Reed FOX19 NOW/Dave Reed

A mother critically injured in this head on collision in Addyston is now out of the hospital.

The crash happened last Tuesday on the 400 block of Three Rivers Parkway. The high impact collision was captured on camera from a surveillance video at a nearby business.

Sarah Kern was in the eastbound lane heading to work when police said Christopher Benter who was driving a pickup truck crossed into her lane hitting her head on.

Sarah's husband Nick Kern said even though his wife is now home, it's still hard to watch the video of the crash.

"It's crazy to think either one of them survived the crash," he said. 

While Sarah survived, she still has a long road to recovery.

"She has a skull fracture, some bleeding on the brain a pretty severe concussion," Nick said. 

She also suffered several broken bones and bruises from head to toe.

Nick said life hasn't been the same since this crash, and it's really been difficult for their 1-year-old daughter.

"When she sees you, she gets super excited and she wants to crawl all over and jump on her like she usually would, but she can't so it's tough for her," he said. 

He said it's also tough knowing that the crash could have possibly been avoided. Right now, police suspect the driver in the truck was under the influence of drugs. He has not been charged, but the investigation is ongoing.

"It makes you a little angry at the situation. You hear the rumors and speculations and everything like that. You just try to not to worry about that at this point," Nick said.

His only worry right now is getting is wife back.

"At this point I'm just trying to focus on keeping her comfortable," Nick said. 

[Officials: Drugs likely a factor in U.S. 50 crash]

Kern said it could be eight weeks before Sarah is up and moving again.

FOX19 NOW did reach out to the driver of the truck, but he did not respond.

Toxicology reports could take several months.   

Copyright 2017 WXIX. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly