2 children hospitalized after eating poisonous plant on playgrou - Cincinnati News, Weather, Sports from FOX19 NOW-WXIX

2 children hospitalized after eating poisonous plant on playground

(Source: pixabay) (Source: pixabay)

Two students at Batavia Elementary School were transported to the hospital on Thursday after chewing on what was believed to be a poisonous hemlock plant.

Batavia Superintendent Keith Millard released the following statement regarding the incident:

“I just followed up with the elementary principal and it is our understanding that both boys are fine, and we are thankful that the actions taken today turned out to be truly precautionary.

At recess today two students put what was believed to be poison hemlock in their mouths, which they mistook for celery.

A staff member on recess duty approached the boys, realized what had happened, and immediately brought them to the nurse.  From this point we put our emergency action plan into place out of an abundance of caution to ensure the welfare of the students.

While this was a unfortunate occurrence, the emergency plans we have in place for unexpected situations worked exactly as designed.  Furthermore, we have held a post incident de-briefing, and have put in place measures to monitor the grounds for invasive plants that may be harmful.”

The parents of the children involved told FOX19 NOW they are happy with the schools quick response, but they brought forward concerns about the plants presence on the school ground in the first place.

The mother of one of the children said, “I stated to the principal ‘I had never heard of this poisonous hemlock before.’ She stated clearly neither had she until yesterday. I didn’t ask her to elaborate, I didn’t say ‘what do you mean you knew this yesterday... how is this happening today,'" she said. 

Both children have been released from the hospital.

The principal and assistant principal joined the children on the way to the hospital and poison control was also contacted.

Copyright 2017 WXIX. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly