Dearborn Co. man accused of setting off homemade bomb in neighbo - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Dearborn Co. man accused of setting off homemade bomb in neighborhood

Bradley Back (Dearborn Co. Sheriff's Office) Bradley Back (Dearborn Co. Sheriff's Office)
DEARBORN COUNTY, IN (FOX19) -

A Dearborn County man is facing felony charges because prosecutors believe that he set off a homemade bomb in the middle of a residential neighborhood.

Bradley Back, 29, is the man accused of the crime.

Officials said that it happened on Easter Sunday around 1 p.m. on Ledgestone Drive in West Harrison.

Residents there told FOX19 NOW that the neighborhood is normally peaceful and quiet. Many of the neighbors said that they are still in shock and do not want to be involved, so they declined to speak on camera.

One neighbor said that on Easter, her husband heard a loud pop and saw smoke billowing from a home across the street. He ran over to try to help with what he thought was a house fire.

Later, police revealed that it was not a fire - it had been an explosion.

Investigators believe that Back set off a homemade device with shrapnel capabilities inside of his house. According to officials, some of the walls inside the home were blown out over five inches from the pressure.

A number of agencies including the sheriff's office, local fire departments and the Indiana State Police Explosive Ordinance Disposal team came out that day to investigate.

One fire chief said that the main goal that day was to clear the area as quickly as possible.

Neighbors told FOX19 NOW off camera that they do not know Back well. Several of them said that they believe a woman also lived there and was inside when the device erupted.

Investigators have not revealed details about what they believe Back's intentions were, but court reports indicate that Back made several "suspicious" internet searches sometime before the explosion, and at one point, was accused of having rope, zip ties and a gun in his car.

Right now, Back is facing a list of felony charges, including possessing a destructive device and criminal recklessness with a deadly weapon.

He is scheduled to appear in court May 23.

FOX19 NOW did reach out to some of Back's relatives for comment, but has not heard back.

Copyright 2017 WXIX. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly