A furnace operating at an elevated temperature is to blame for a fire at a crematorium late Tuesday, Cincinnati fire officials said.
No one was hurt when flames broke out at Cincinnati Crematorium on Martin Luther King Boulevard in Clifton just after 9:30 p.m., according to a prepared statement from the fire department.
The first firefighters who arrived reported heavy smoke and some fire in the crematorium's working area.
One of the furnaces was operating at an elevated temperature, causing damage to the vent pipe from the furnace and extending fire into some of the surrounding roofing material, fire officials said.
Cardboard boxes stored next to the furnace also ignited from the extreme heat.
The furnace was powered down.
The burning materials were removed from inside the structure and extinguished.
Damage is estimated at $30,000.
New information this morning about a fire that caused $30,000 worth of damage at a crematorium in Clifton. I'll have this latest on @FOX19— Jordan Vilines (@FOX19Jordan) April 26, 2017
Copyright 2017 WXIX. All rights reserved.