Indiana girl who died after tick bite had spotted fever - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Indiana girl who died after tick bite had spotted fever

The family wants to get the message out to other families that they should always check for ticks. (Source: Kayla Conn/WISH/CNN) The family wants to get the message out to other families that they should always check for ticks. (Source: Kayla Conn/WISH/CNN)

PLAINFIELD, Ind. (AP) - The mother of a 2-year-old central Indiana girl who died after being bitten by a tick during a camping trip says lab tests confirmed she was infected with Rocky Mountain spotted fever.

Kenley Ratliff of Plainfield died June 4 at Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis. Her mother, Kayla Conn, says lab tests showed her daughter tested positive for Rocky Mountain spotted fever, a tick-borne bacterial infection that can be deadly if not promptly treated.

[2-year-old dies after suspected tick bite]

Conn tells WTHR-TV she'd never heard of the illness. She's urging others to be aware of the dangers of tick-borne diseases.

Kenley fell ill after returning from a camping trip during which a tick bit her. A doctor says she was in the advanced stages of the illness within days of arriving at Riley Hospital.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly