Firefighter, resident hospitalized in North Avondale fire - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Firefighter, resident hospitalized in North Avondale fire

FOX19 NOW/Jordan Vilines FOX19 NOW/Jordan Vilines
FOX19 NOW FOX19 NOW
NORTH AVONDALE, OH (FOX19) -

Two people were hospitalized and 9 residents were displaced when fire roared through a multi-family home overnight, Cincinnati fire officials said.

One firefighter and a resident suffered smoke inhalation when flames broke out in the 700 block of East Mitchell Avenue just before 2 a.m. Thursday, said District 3 Fire Chief Marc Monahan.

They were taken to the hospital in an ambulance; a second resident also suffered smoke inhalation but refused to go to the hospital and received medical care at the scene, he said.

The firefighter, whose name was not released, is listed in fair condition; the condition of the female resident also treated at the hospital was not available, according to Monahan.

When the first crews arrived on scene, they used a ground ladder to rescue one resident from the third floor.

All other residents , including two children, already were out when fire crews arrived, Monahan said.

Smoke detectors were present and operating only on the second floor, he said.

An unattended candle sparked the accidental fire, according to Monahan.

Damage is estimated at $50,000.

The American Red Cross is assisting the three displaced families.

FOX19 NOW has a crew on scene and will continue to update this story.

Copyright 2017 WXIX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly