CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - If you're one of the 44.2 million Americans heading out this holiday weekend, AAA has some tips and tricks for you to remember as you hit the road.
- Have your vehicle inspected before setting off on a long trip. Always check the big three: batteries, tires and fluids.
- Map your route in advance. Be prepared for busy roads
- Remember "safety first". Make sure everyone hair their seatbelt on.
- Make sure any loose objects are secured in the vehicle. Keep anything of value in the trunk or covered storage area.
- Rest up. Get plenty of sleep before the trip, travel at times when you are normally awake, and schedule breaks every two hours or 100 miles to avoid becoming drowsy.
- Charge and stock up. Keep a cellphone and car charger with you in case of an emergency. In addition, pack a flashlight and extra batteries, jumper cables, water and a basic tool kit.