Marchers call for another trial for Ray Tensing - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Marchers call for another trial for Ray Tensing

FOX19 NOW FOX19 NOW
CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) -

Several groups joined together Saturday night to march and call for another trial for former UC Officer Ray Tensing for shooting and killing Sam DuBubose in July 2015.

The most tense moment of the demonstration came at the corner of East Clifton and Main Street when police temporarily blocked the march from turning south onto Main Street.

Eventually, the group made their way to Vine Street where they occupied the sidewalks and the street in front of many busy downtown restaurants. 

"I think it's important for everybody to come together in this city just to realize that a person did actually lose their life, no matter what you believe in... it's important to get behind that and to acknowledge that something did happen and somebody lost their life," demonstrator Kai Stoudemire Williams said.

Tensing has been tried twice on charges of murder and voluntary manslaughter, but both ended in mistrials.

After the mistrials, it remains unclear whether Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters will try Tensing for a third time.

Deters said it may be too late to re-indict the ex-cop on lesser charges.

“Tensing was indicted on July 29, 2015," he said in the WLW radio interview. "We had 270 days to bring previously uncharged crimes and that would have been April 23, 2016. So the first day of the trial was Nov. 1, 2016. Six months before the trial even started we were out of time to charge anything else. That was over, that was totally over.”

Judge Leslie Ghiz set a July 24 court date for prosecutors to appear before her and advise how they plan to proceed after the second mistrial.

That hearing is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m.

Copyright 2017 WXIX. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly