COLERAIN TOWNSHIP, OH (FOX19) - Working smoke alarms saved a family of six from a house fire overnight, fire officials said.
Flames broke out in the basement of the home in the 6400 block of Springdale Road about 2:30 a.m. Sunday, said Colerain Township Fire Battalion Chief Steve Conn.
One of the homeowners checked the basement by opening the door, he said. The resident began choking on heavy smoke, so he shut the door and immediately called 911.
The family safely escaped before fire crews arrived.
"The need for working smoke alarms in every home can not be over emphasized," wrote Robert Rielage, fire department special project manager, in a prepared statement.
Fire crews quickly knocked the blaze down.
"They had an issue with an electrical appliance in the basement," Conn said.
The fire damage was contained to the basement and set at $10,000.
The family is temporarily displaced.
Firefighters from Green and Miami townships assisted at the scene.
Colerain fire crews were busy overnight.
In addition to this house fire, they also responded to a mass shooting on Capstan Drive.
Nine people in all were shot, including a woman who died.