Warren County mortuary shut down after state finds rotting corps - Cincinnati News, Weather, Sports from FOX19 NOW-WXIX

Warren County mortuary shut down after state finds rotting corpses

(Pixabay) (Pixabay)
CARLISLE, OH (FOX19) -

Officials found mold growing on body held at a Carlisle mortuary that failed to refrigerate human remains.

Another body was beginning to mummify and car fresheners were hanging from the ceiling to mask the faint odor of rotting flesh, according to findings in a state investigation filed Monday.

Investigators discovered a macabre scene at Premium Mortuary Services and suspended the facility’s license for failing to properly store seven human bodies that were not embalmed.

The mortuary was cited for 15 violations for not refrigerating remains in a proper facility until cremation, according to the Ohio Board of Embalmers and Funeral Directors. The mortuary’s unsanitary storage of remains presented “a danger of immediate and serious harm to the public,” Jon Rettig, the board’s president, said.

Officials found maggots consuming and living in one of the severely decomposing bodies, the report states. 

The owner of the facility told a state investigators Friday one of the coolers for body storage has been broken for two days. A formal complaint on the unrefrigerated bodies was filed to the state Thursday.

The facility’s walk-in cooler was also not working, but it is unclear how long it had been down.

A state investigator also discovered a “noticeable” amount of residue of and bone fragments in the crematory unit on the same property.

A total of 19 deceased bodies were in the building, 15 were adults and three babies. 

Premium Mortuary Services is located on Business Parkway in Carlisle. 

Copyright 2017 WXIX. All rights reserved.

  • FOX19 HeadlinesMore>>

  • And now he is 5: Britain's Prince George marks birthday

    And now he is 5: Britain's Prince George marks birthday

    Sunday, July 22 2018 7:34 AM EDT2018-07-22 11:34:16 GMT
    Sunday, July 22 2018 2:45 PM EDT2018-07-22 18:45:53 GMT
    The third in line for the British throne is celebrating a milestone. (Source: Twitter/KensingtonPalace/Matt Porteous)The third in line for the British throne is celebrating a milestone. (Source: Twitter/KensingtonPalace/Matt Porteous)

    Britain's Prince William and his wife Kate release a new photo of Prince George to mark his fifth birthday.

    Full Story >

    Britain's Prince William and his wife Kate release a new photo of Prince George to mark his fifth birthday.

    Full Story >
  • Inspector warned duck boat company of design flaws last year

    Inspector warned duck boat company of design flaws last year

    Saturday, July 21 2018 6:13 PM EDT2018-07-21 22:13:06 GMT
    Sunday, July 22 2018 2:44 PM EDT2018-07-22 18:44:59 GMT
    (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel). People view a row of idled duck boats in the parking lot of Ride the Ducks Saturday, July 21, 2018 in Branson, Mo. One of the company's duck boats capsized Thursday night resulting in several deaths on Table Rock Lake.(AP Photo/Charlie Riedel). People view a row of idled duck boats in the parking lot of Ride the Ducks Saturday, July 21, 2018 in Branson, Mo. One of the company's duck boats capsized Thursday night resulting in several deaths on Table Rock Lake.

    Since 1999, duck boats have been linked to the deaths of more than 40 people, with a troubled safety record on the road and water alike.

    Full Story >

    Since 1999, duck boats have been linked to the deaths of more than 40 people, with a troubled safety record on the road and water alike.

    Full Story >
  • UK police think boy, 3, was attacked with acid at store

    UK police think boy, 3, was attacked with acid at store

    Sunday, July 22 2018 11:04 AM EDT2018-07-22 15:04:24 GMT
    Sunday, July 22 2018 2:41 PM EDT2018-07-22 18:41:21 GMT
    A general view of the Home Bargains store where a man is accused of an acid attack on a young boy, in Worcester, England, Sunday. British police say a 3-year-old boy suffered severe burns on his face and arm. (Matthew Cooper/PA via AP)A general view of the Home Bargains store where a man is accused of an acid attack on a young boy, in Worcester, England, Sunday. British police say a 3-year-old boy suffered severe burns on his face and arm. (Matthew Cooper/PA via AP)

    British police say a 3-year-old boy suffered severe burns on his face and arm during a suspected acid attack that investigators think was deliberate.

    Full Story >

    British police say a 3-year-old boy suffered severe burns on his face and arm during a suspected acid attack that investigators think was deliberate.

    Full Story >
Powered by Frankly