Western & Southern Open defending men's champ withdraws - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Western & Southern Open defending men's champ withdraws

Marin Cilic (Provided by Western & Southern Open) Marin Cilic (Provided by Western & Southern Open)
Victoria Azarenka (Provided by Western & Southern Open) Victoria Azarenka (Provided by Western & Southern Open)
MASON, OH (FOX19) -

Marin Cilic, the defending men’s champion, and Victoria Azarenka, the 2013 women’s champion, have both withdrawn from the 2017 Western & Southern Open.

Cilic has withdrawn due to an adductor injury that has kept him out since Wimbledon, tournament officials announced Friday morning.

“I was really eager to play in Cincinnati, where I've won my first career ATP Masters 1000 singles title last year and where I had one of the best performances during my career, but I still don't feel at 100 percent to compete at the top level and to defend my title there,“ Cilic said in a prepared statement released by the tournament.

Azarenka has withdrawn for personal reasons.

“I am disappointed to have to pull out of the Western & Southern Open due to a family matter,” Azarenka said in the statement. “I look forward to coming back to Cincinnati and playing in front of its great fans for many years to come.

The draw for the 2017 Western & Southern Open will take place at 6 p.m. Friday.

Daily play begins at 10 a.m. Saturday and continues through to the finals Sunday, Aug. 20.

Limited tickets remain for select sessions.

Grounds passes have been released for four sessions during the week.

Tickets can be purchased on WSOpen.comTicketMaster.com or by calling (513) 651-0303.   

Copyright 2017 WXIX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly