CARLISLE, OH (FOX19) - A Dayton woman is suing a Carlisle crematory after she found out her son's body was allegedly not stored properly before the cremation process was to begin.
On Aug. 1, Premium Mortuary Services had its license revoked after an inspection found 15 violations, including failing to properly store seven human bodies that were not embalmed.
"I was just hoping to God that my loved one wasn't there, and then when I did find out, I was devastated. I'm still kinda numb from it. Haven't had time to even grieve," Sharon Hart said during a news conference.
Hart's lawyer believes the crematory's actions were criminal, and has filed a class action lawsuit on behalf of all the families involved.
Officials found maggots consuming and living in one of the severely decomposing bodies, the report states.
The owner of the facility told a state investigators one of the coolers for body storage had been broken for two days.
The facility's walk-in cooler was also not working, but it is unclear how long it had been down.
A state investigator also discovered a "noticeable" amount of residue of and bone fragments in the crematory unit on the same property.
A total of 19 deceased bodies were in the building, 15 were adults and three babies.