Suspect accused of shooting at officer kills self after police chase ends in crash

Source: WXIX
Source: WXIX

CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - A suspect accused of shooting at a police officer earlier this week led authorities on a chase that ended in a crash and his suicide Wednesday, closing southbound Interstate 75 for hours, Cincinnati police said.

Ronald Foster wrecked on the highway under the Ninth Street overpass just after 1:30 p.m.

Foster was wanted on a charge of shooting at a Springfield Township officer outside the Kroger in Hartwell over the weekend.

He shot himself in the head and was pronounced dead at the scene, according to police.

The southbound side of the highway closed the rest of the afternoon and through most of the evening rush before reopening just before 6 p.m.

Foster's death three days after he got into a confrontation with a Springfield Township officer during a traffic stop Sunday.

He parked his Jeep Cherokee in the Kroger parking lot at 8241 Vine St. got out, produced a firearm and shot at an officer, police said.

Foster's family said those actions don't match the man they knew.

"All I know is he got out and ran. He has ran from the police before but this is the first time he has shot at an officer," his cousin, James Puff said. "This is not Ronald at all. Honestly, he's a good guy. He loves kids. This is really tragic for the family."

A tip to police helped them locate Foster when he went to the impound lot to try and get his van back Wednesday.

He was cornered by police and refused to stop.

The family thought he left town.

"It was stupid for him to go to the impound lot to try and get his vehicle that got impounded out. That was pretty stupid on his part," Puff said.

Foster reportedly told family he would never be taken alive.

"Honestly he made the threats, you know, about it... but I didn't think he was really going to do it," Puff said.

Cincinnati police said city and county units were involved in the chase.

Copyright 2017 WXIX. All rights reserved.