FDA warns bone treats causing dog deaths and illnesses - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

FDA warns bone treats causing dog deaths and illnesses

(Pixabay) (Pixabay)
FOX19 -

We all want to pamper our pooches. Bone treats can kick-off the hype machine in your sweet puppy, but you could be risking their life.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration warned it has received 68 reports of dog illness tied to bone treats.

Bone treats are actual bones that have been flavored, dried and packaged.

The FDA reports veterinarians and pet owners said dogs that ate the bones experienced, blockages in the digestive tract, choking, cuts, vomiting, diarrhea and in extreme cases, death. About 15 dogs died.

"Giving your dog a bone treat might lead to an unexpected trip to your veterinarian, a possible emergency surgery, or even death for your pet," veterinarian Carmela Stamper said in the published warning.

Tips to Keep Your Dog Safe:

  • Chicken bones and other bones from the kitchen table can cause injury when chewed by pets, too. So be careful to keep platters out of reach when you’re cooking or the family is eating.
  • Be careful what you put in the trash can. Dogs are notorious for helping themselves to the turkey carcass or steak bones disposed of there.
  • Talk with your veterinarian about other toys or treats that are most appropriate for your dog. There are many available products made with different materials for dogs to chew on.

Copyright 2017 WXIX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly