1 dead in carbon monoxide poisoning overnight

1 dead in carbon monoxide poisoning overnight

MILLVALE, OH (FOX19) - One person died in a carbon monoxide poisoning overnight, Cincinnati fire officials said.

Firefighters responded to a report of two possible CO poisoning victims at an apartment in the 1600 block of Sutter Avenue about 9:18 p.m. Friday, fire officials said in a prepared statement.

A 911 caller said one person in the building was unconscious and not breathing.

When firefighters arrived, they entered the building and found one person unconscious on the second floor, according to the statement.

The person was taken to University of Cincinnati Medical Center and pronounced dead.

The other person in the building was taken to the hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.

The SPCA responded to the scene to take custody of 14 dogs found alive inside.

Fire officials say the incident is an accident, but they note smoke detectors were not found in the building.

Each year, hundreds of people are killed and thousands are hospitalized nationally by exposure to carbon monoxide (CO), an invisible, odorless gas that can seep into homes from faulty furnaces or poorly ventilated generators, fire experts say. Risks increase during winter.

Since CO is odorless and colorless, people don't often know that the gas is inside their home until someone becomes ill, fire officials say.

Often the symptoms of CO poisoning — headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and disorientation — are hard to distinguish from common ailments like the flu.

People who are sleeping or intoxicated can succumb to CO poisoning before they know they're experiencing symptom.

It's important to install a CO alarm and know the symptoms of CO poisoning, according to fire experts. Like smoke detectors, wall-mounted CO detectors save lives and take only minutes to install.

FOX19 NOW will continue to update this story throughout the day.

Copyright 2018 WXIX. All rights reserved.