McDonald's worker shot in face by co-worker upgraded to fair condition

Jayla Frost GoFundMe
Jayla Frost GoFundMe
Zachary Allart did not speak during his arraignment Friday. (FOX19 NOW/Jennifer Baker)
Zachary Allart did not speak during his arraignment Friday. (FOX19 NOW/Jennifer Baker)

CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - A woman shot in the face and head at an area McDonald's restaurant is now listed in fair condition at University of Cincinnati Medical Center, a hospital spokeswoman said Tuesday.

Jayla Frost, 18, of Mount Washington was initially hospitalized in critical condition with a prognosis described as "grave" by Hamilton County sheriff's detectives.

According to her GoFundMe page, Frost is improving and undergoing therapy.

So far, 290 people have donated $13,098 toward the fundraising page's $75,000 goal.

"Hello everyone I would like to give a brief update on my daughter Jayla's condition," reads the latest post on "Helping Jayla to Recovery."

"She is in therapy and doing well making some progress. The donations will help me to get her some medical therapeutic items. Also her everyday living needs. We would like to say thank you all for your kind words and thoughts and prayers. Thank you all again. God Bless. Jayla's mother Jackie Ware."

Frost's ex-boyfriend and co-worker at the Beechmont Avenue McDonald's in Anderson Township, Zachary Allart, 20, of Mount Washington was initially charged with two counts of attempted murder in the the Dec. 13 attack that also wounded her manager,  Denise Higgins, 36.

In late December, he was indicted on those charges and additional ones of felonious assault and having weapons while under disability, according to court records.

When deputies responded to the shooting, they found Allart holding a gun to his head and threatening to shoot himself, sheriff's officials have said. He was taken into custody without further incident.

Allart had been in a relationship with Frost that had recently ended, sheriff's officials have said.

Allart also shot Higgins in the back, they said. Initially listed in critical condition as well, she was released from the hospital about a week after the shooting.

McDonald's 911 calls: 'I'm at the drive-thru window. I heard the gun going off'

Allart showed no emotion when he made his initial court appearance on the case the morning after it occurred.

Saying the situation "could not be more serious or more disturbing," Hamilton County Judge Josh Berkowitz gave Allart a high bond of $4 million.

Allart remains locked up at the Hamilton County jail and has pleaded not guilty.

The case returns to court for plea or trial setting next week, on Feb. 21.

Copyright 2017 WXIX. All rights reserved.