CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - Ohio Governor John R. Kasich issued a state of emergency for 17 counties along the Ohio River.
The governor's office made the emergency declaration due to dangerous conditions resulting from severe storms and heavy rain.
The impacted areas include: Adams, Athens, Belmont, Brown, Clermont, Columbiana, Gallia, Hamilton, Hocking, Jackson, Jefferson. Lawrence, Monroe, Meigs, Muskingum, Scioto, and Washington counties.
Kasich's office says that the emergency declaration allows the governor to use state resources, including activating the National Guard.
Kasich says that so far Ohio storm and flood preparation efforts include:
- Providing water pumps to Scioto and Lawrence counties
- Holding coordination calls with National Weather Service and state and local response partners
- Installing flood gates in the City of Portsmouth
- Providing situation awareness reports to federal, state and local partners
- Delivering sandbags to Athens County
- Deploying National Guard troops