Cat saves Ohio family from carbon monoxide leak - Cincinnati News, Weather, Sports from FOX19 NOW-WXIX

Cat saves Ohio family from carbon monoxide leak

Boo the cat woke up his owners during a carbon monoxide leak inside their home. (Provided photo) Boo the cat woke up his owners during a carbon monoxide leak inside their home. (Provided photo)
Hamilton County dispatch says 4 people were taken to the hospital after a carbon monoxide incident in Green Twp. (FOX19 NOW) Hamilton County dispatch says 4 people were taken to the hospital after a carbon monoxide incident in Green Twp. (FOX19 NOW)
GREEN TOWNSHIP, OH (FOX19) -

A house cat is credited with saving the lives of a Covedale family whose home filled with carbon monoxide Tuesday. 

David Kecskes said he, his wife and two children are lucky to be alive.

All four family members were asleep when the gas started leaking from a boiler inside the Forestview Lane home.

David said the family cat, Boo, was meowing so loudly it woke everyone up. David and his wife got out of bed just in time to witness Boo fall unconscious. 

"We just saw Boo fall and pass out right here. And then Ariana came out of her room, it's her cat, and she passed out right here," he said. 

David rushed to get his family out of the house as they started to feel side effects of the poisonous gas. 

"My daughter fainted in the hallway, my son fainted on the back porch and our cat fainted in the living room. And I'm dizzy and my mom's dizzy. And my wife's dizzy," David told 911 dispatchers. 

Medics responded and transferred all four family members to the hospital. They have since been released.

The Assistant Green Township fire chief said a potentially lethal level of carbon monoxide was detected in the house.

"Had this situation gone on much longer the outcome could have been different," he said. "It's colorless, it's odorless, it's tasteless, so it is a silent, it's a silent killer if you will."

The family told investigators they had the home's HVAC worked on Monday.

The fire department said the leak came from the boiler that feeds the house's baseboard heating system.

The hero of the story, Boo the cat, went missing after all the commotion inside the house. Thankfully, Boo was found hiding in the basement later that night. 

Copyright 2018 WXIX. All rights reserved.

  • FOX19 HeadlinesMore>>

  • Ireland referendum could lift strict ban on abortion

    Ireland referendum could lift strict ban on abortion

    Friday, May 25 2018 2:32 AM EDT2018-05-25 06:32:46 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 4:49 PM EDT2018-05-25 20:49:02 GMT
    (Clodagh Kilcoyne/PA via AP). Presiding officer Carmel McBride looks on as a woman casts her vote in the referendum on the 8th Amendment of the Irish Constitution, on Thursday May 24, 2018, a day early for the people that live off the coast of Donegal ...(Clodagh Kilcoyne/PA via AP). Presiding officer Carmel McBride looks on as a woman casts her vote in the referendum on the 8th Amendment of the Irish Constitution, on Thursday May 24, 2018, a day early for the people that live off the coast of Donegal ...

    Voters throughout Ireland have begun casting votes in a referendum that may lead to a loosening of the country's strict ban on most abortions.

    Full Story >

    Voters throughout Ireland have begun casting votes in a referendum that may lead to a loosening of the country's strict ban on most abortions.

    Full Story >
  • Explosion at Indian restaurant in Canada wounds 15 people

    Explosion at Indian restaurant in Canada wounds 15 people

    Friday, May 25 2018 2:42 AM EDT2018-05-25 06:42:29 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 4:48 PM EDT2018-05-25 20:48:36 GMT
    Canadian police say an explosion set off deliberately in a restaurant has wounded at least 15 people, some of them critically. (Source: CTV Network via CNN)Canadian police say an explosion set off deliberately in a restaurant has wounded at least 15 people, some of them critically. (Source: CTV Network via CNN)

    Canadian police say an explosion set off deliberately in a restaurant has wounded at least 15 people, some of them critically.

    Full Story >

    Canadian police say an explosion set off deliberately in a restaurant has wounded at least 15 people, some of them critically.

    Full Story >
  • Trump balks at North Korea's rhetoric but it has used worse

    Trump balks at North Korea's rhetoric but it has used worse

    Friday, May 25 2018 2:22 AM EDT2018-05-25 06:22:51 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 4:47 PM EDT2018-05-25 20:47:54 GMT
    A federal judge in New York says President Donald Trump cannot block his critics on Twitter without violating the First Amendment. (Source: CNN)A federal judge in New York says President Donald Trump cannot block his critics on Twitter without violating the First Amendment. (Source: CNN)

    North Korea language was milder than its typical inflammatory, harsh rhetoric but enough for Trump to kill summit.

    Full Story >

    North Korea language was milder than its typical inflammatory, harsh rhetoric but enough for Trump to kill summit.

    Full Story >
Powered by Frankly